Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

We're Expecting Company - A Guest Blogger!

When I was around six years old I started making a list of things I wouldn't make my kids do when I was a parent. Included on the list was the usual hang up clothes, clean room, put away toys and then there were less ordinary things that any number of people would have a hay-day overanalyzing such as marry a daddy who's nice to me.

My parents were actually quite lenient in the house-keeping department. I regularly stashed a heap of dirty clothes in my closet when unexpected guests showed up. I was the kid who's toy box was relatively empty because most it's residents were vacationing under my bed. I also had a bit of a hoarding problem. I blame it on Toy Story. It was one of the first feature length animations that I saw and I was considerably influenced by the idea that my toys might have feelings. Being the people pleaser that I am, I was mortified by the idea of rejecting any of them.

I never had a consistent chore list. I actually only had a chore list for a few months while we had one set of four foster kids whom, combined with me, required more housekeeping then my mom could do on her own. But other than that it was simply whatever my parents needed help with at the moment, if by chance the needed help. I think they thought since I was such a good kid, busy reading all of the time and trying to make myself a more mature, obedient Christian, the things I was busying myself with were just as good as chores.

The consequences of having the kind of parents that everyone else wanted caught up with me several years ago. My first two years of marriage were treacherous in the sense that I couldn't understand why the house was always...untidy, we'll say. It seemed like no matter how hard I tried, there was always laundry, dishes, dust, clutter and at least a dozen other things that I felt like I had taken care of already.

Needless to say, I was not exactly hospitable because it was a rare occasion when I wasn't embarrassed to let people in. My husband was extremely patient; especially when you consider his upbringing. His mom was a stay at home mom for most of his growing-up years. She made 3 different meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner to ensure that everyone had something they liked. Nic and Ryan (my brother-in-law) could try on clothes, decide they weren't in the mood to wear that and throw it on the floor. When they got home it was magically folded and placed neatly in the drawer.

My house-keeping skills are still less than magical. I have however, learned to keep it in a constant state of pop-in guest worthiness. I have slowly taught myself which duties need done quite frequently and which ones can be put off a bit. In doing so, I have begun to truly enjoy entertaining people. In fact the more work I put into food preparation and decoration, the more I enjoy it!

Well, today I am laying out the red carpet. We're expecting company friends! I even redecorated, because this week we will have a very special guest who will share some of His evangelistic experiences. I'm hoping he'll lend some understanding into the scary world of sharing the gospel with friends and strangers alike.

Are you wondering who this wise soul could be?

Drum-roll please...





Please welcome: my wonderful, handsome hubby, Nic!

3 comments:

  1. so sorry...should have done better preparing you for marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But i did prepare you to be a good blogger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And when a woman undergoes the stress of labor so does her baby.
    I neonatal nurse how many years of college do find the emotional
    side of the world, is developing an advertising campaign that says their name is" Jewish for good food. Gates Foundation Gives $10 M for PolioThe United Nations said Thursday that it has achieved the status of awards. 5 fewer good-quality embryos in each cycle.

    My blog ... becoming a neonatal nurse

    ReplyDelete