Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dear disciples: please leave America.

My husband and I have recently been approached by some influential people (in our lives) about our approach to reaching the lost. The overtone of all of these conversations ended up being that maybe we're cut out for missionary work overseas somewhere. So for the past couple weeks I've tried to figure out why they think this is true and what that thought process implies for the local church and global church.

So here are as many of the attitudes and opinions (for lack of a better term) that I could think of that might have led those people to their conclusions.

-Western Christians have chosen to forget what our resources (money, time, energy, skills etc) should be spent on.

-The overtone regarding outreach has become very event based and internal (w/in church walls) and has removed a feeling of personal responsibility to share the gospel from believers.

-There is a very specific use for short term mission trips. If you are not going to establish a long term relationship in that context, you had better be edifying of assisting someone who is committed to discipleship there.

-God's Word, Grace, plan of redemption and other Truths do not need to be made attractive.

-One of the more controversial opinions I hold: church (in the Sunday Service sense) is almost completely for believers. Yes, people get saved in church services, but I think they come in knowing their void needs filled. The purpose of such a gathering is to worship God corporately and edify the Body so that believers rare equipped to GO OUT AND REACH THE LOST IN THEIR COMMUNITIES. Therefore, we shouldn't worry about pretty buildings, pretty people, offending people (as long as Truth is being spoken on Love & grace), and useless inefficient hype.

-One two-hour service a week is not enough spiritual food. On top of personal studies, some sort of group/one-on-one study and accountability is necessary for growth.

-the theology and doctrine within many sermons and musical worship is weak, if present at all.

-Everone is called to missions and everyone can do something for the global church outside in a global context. Anyone who uses the "I'm called to fill in their city" had better be doing some mega-hardcore local ministry.

-Salvation and discipleship is a personal process that is unique to each situation. It is not just a raised hand or a program or a class that people do and then they're a part of the club.

I think I've gotten most of the things that they recounted as evidence of our missional attitude. So apparently, the fact that I hold these opinions means I am a prime candidate for overseas missions. If I felt that God was asking me to do that, I would be gone ASAP. I've actually asked God if He wouldn't mind sending me somewhere else, couldn't I be of better use where people would just let me disciple people?!

Anyways, what alarms me is that the information they based their conclusions on seems to be necessary for the church wherever it's located. I feel like if this qualifies me for ministry outside of America, what does ministry look like in America? Why can't a person be passionate about discipleship and building the Body from the person up and not from the congregational meeting down? My husband sat in tears telling one person that the young people in our city are what he's passionate about. Almost like he didn't believe my husband, that person responded by saying AGAIN that we need to pray about what God really wants to do with us and where he would best use our passions. It's really hard for me to be comfortable doing what God's word demands of me when people tell me that I should do it somewhere else. Why do so many Christians feel like big church is for America and Jesus-style discipleship is for Indonesia?

No comments:

Post a Comment