Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

Mondays With Margaret: Practicing the Art of Listening

...as I practice the art of listening to God, I am discovering that he is surprisingly talkative even in the silence. Prayers are not going unanswered as much as he is responding in unexpected ways. Listening to God's voice requires more than just my ears; it requires my eyes, my mind, my spirit, my entire being to recognize the God-nudges in life.

-Margaret Feinberg in her book The Organic God


Oh how I wish this were an easier lesson to learn! I pray and wait for God to answer; I try to use my spirit and my mind to listen. But one of the statements that most catches my eye (and my heart) in this passage is the challenge to listen with my eyes. How often does God show us the answers to our questions by lining things up (opportunities, people, even trials) around us?! In my life, I have seen this play out over and over. One day I'll learn to pray, listen, and then confidently watch the world around me knowing that my God is sovereign. He won't forget about this little girl!

The second, and most powerful thing for me was Margaret's label for listening: an art. It truly is a skill that you fumble around with at first. Maybe you don't always capture the correct vision. Quite possibly you'll fail more than you'll succeed in the beginning. But when a follower of Christ begins to practice listening to God, he or she will slowly begin to hear and confidently obey (step two of this whole listening thing) their Father. Isn't it a complex and beautiful thing, conversing with Maker of everything wondrous?! Who are we, that He would even take notice of our plees? We are joint heirs with Christ and ever thankful for the grace He bestows!

No comments:

Post a Comment